The first time I wrote my list I remember thanking God for my feet. LOL! Seriously, I’ve always liked my feet. No reason, just always liked them. It actually makes me laugh to type that. There were other things like air and sun on my short list. That gives you an idea of how little I thought I had to be thankful for.
Occasionally I come back to this exercise, as I know it is a great way to focus on the blessings. Ann Voskamp in her book, One Thousand Gifts, does exactly this. When I saw it online I knew I had to read it. I have so many friends that love that book, but quite honestly I didn’t care for it. Not the message, just the actual writing. It’s written in what I like to call “fancy writing”. Like poetry. The ironic thing is that I love poetry… but only the kind that makes sense and rhymes. I’m more of a meat and potatoes writer and that’s what I enjoy reading. Plain English, please.
Anyway, it’s been awhile since I’ve written a thankful list so I thought I’d give it a go:
Today I am thankful for…
- My three kids who make me laugh EVERY day. Life without them would be oh so boring.
- My family. Their love, support and prayers get me through every day. I know how blessed I am to have the family I have.
- Milo, our dog. We had a rough start, but he’s become quite the companion and fits in well with our family.
- The neighborhood I live in.
- My job. It not only provides for us, but it also encourages me to grow and learn. I also have good friends I’ve made.
- The Fellowship at Cinco Ranch. LOVE my church family.
- That we are lice free. Yes, we had our first case of lice and it was not fun or cheap. If you’ve been through it, you know. It can make you go crazy!
- Accountability. I need it and thankful to have it.
- My rose bushes that are blooming like crazy.
- The smell of jasmine as I walk out the back door.
- Chai tea… always thankful for that, lol.
- For my past. It’s not pretty but I wouldn’t be where I am today without it.
- And yes, today I am still thankful for my feet